Software development is an iterative logical process that aims to create a computer coded or programmed software to address a unique business or personal objective, goal or process. Software development is generally a planned initiative that consists of various steps or stages that result in the creation of operational software.
Most methodologies share some combination of the following stages of software development:
- Researching, designing, implementing and managing software programs
- Testing and evaluating new programs
- Identifying areas for modification in existing programs and subsequently developing these modifications
- Writing and implementing efficient code
- Determining operational practicality
- Developing quality assurance procedures
- Deploying software tools, processes and metrics
- Maintaining and upgrading existing systems
- Training users
- Working closely with other developers, UX designers, business and systems analysts
A few qualities and skills can help you become successful as a software developer.
- Creativity and innovation: Yours should be the minds behind new software capabilities, even when others say it can’t be done.
- Interpersonal and communication skills: You won’t be working in a void. This job often involves collaboration with a team, and you’ll have to be able to concisely and clearly communicate instructions to others.
- Analytical skills: You’ll have to match improvements and creations to users’ and clients’ needs.
- Concentration and focus: Software development involves numerous and minute interlocking pieces. You can’t be prone to distraction if you want to be successful.
A degree and a technical background should be required to gain a Software Developer role. Degrees in the following subjects should be highlighted as particularly advantageous:
- Computer Science
- Computer Software Engineering
- Software Programming and Development
As well as formal qualifications, a Software Developer job description should highlight the following qualities:
- Knowledge and interest in computer systems and the latest technologies
- The ability to learn new technologies quickly
- An analytical mind
- The ability to communicate complex procedures to other colleagues
- Commercial and business awareness
- Good communication skills – both written and verbal
- Attention to detail and desire to probe further into data